Improv Level 1 - Introduction to Long Form Improv Workshop Level
This level is designed to introduce you to The Improv Conspiracy's approach to long form improvised comedy. No prior acting or improv experience is required.
Each class session starts with some fun warm-up exercises designed to help you to get a bit silly and to bond with your classmates.
After the warm-up you'll move onto some enjoyable exercises designed to help you learn some of the basic skills we use when doing improvised scenes on stage.
After the exercises there will be time for you to perform open-ended scenes. This is where the real magic happens! You'll be asked to call on that day's lesson, plus anything you've worked on during the prior weeks.
By the end of the 8 weeks you'll be capable of creating and sustaining interesting and entertaining 3-minute scenes that are completely improvised. Your class will then put on a 30-minute long improvised show for your friends and family, featuring a blend of truthful storytelling and improv scenes inspired by the stories!
Specific Skills and Topics Covered:
- An introduction to the core tenets of improvisation: agreement, listening, commitment & support
- Truth in comedy: how to use truthful storytelling as a way to generate interesting ideas for comedic scenes
- You are enough: the power of playing characters similar to yourself in a comedic scene. What would you say in real life? It's probably the right thing to say here!
- How to create and play an intelligent character with a stong point of view (POV)
- How to flesh out your characters with rich history and philosophy
Type: 8 WeeksBegins: Monday, June 26, 2017Ends: Monday, August 14, 2017Instructor(s): TBA
Type: 8 WeeksBegins: Tuesday, June 27, 2017Ends: Tuesday, August 15, 2017Instructor(s): TBA
Type: 8 WeeksBegins: Saturday, July 1, 2017Ends: Saturday, August 19, 2017Instructor(s): TBA
"These improv classes have been amazing. They have brought me back to life as an actor and have made me remember how much fun performing should be. It's challenged me every class, but with such a supportive and encouraging environment I have never felt embarrassed to stuff up, and have had huge laughs while doing it. I would definitely recommend anyone to give improv a go with the Improv Conspiracy! You will laugh your ass off." - Grace Presse