A fun and productive way to supplement your high school studies, or just a great new hobby. Perfect for fans of comedy or aspiring comedians as well as being an excellent complementary course to VCE Drama/Theatre Studies.
This level is designed for teenagers between 15 and 18 years of age. It will introduce you to The Improv Conspiracy's approach to long form improvised comedy. No prior acting or improv experience is required.
Each class session starts with some fun warm-up exercises designed to help you to get a bit silly and to bond with your classmates.
After the warm-up you'll move onto some enjoyable exercises designed to help you learn some of the basic skills we use when doing improvised scenes on stage.
After the exercises there will be time for you to perform open-ended scenes. This is where the real magic happens! You'll be asked to call on that day's lesson, plus anything you've worked on during the prior weeks.
By the end of the course you'll be capable of creating and sustaining interesting and entertaining 3-minute scenes that are completely improvised. Your class will then put on a 30-minute long improvised show for your friends and family, featuring a blend of truthful storytelling and improv scenes inspired by the stories!
Specific Skills and Topics Covered:
- An introduction to the core tenets of improvisation: agreement, listening, commitment & support
- Truth in comedy: how to use truthful storytelling as a way to generate interesting ideas for comedic scenes
- You are enough: the power of playing characters similar to yourself in a comedic scene. What would you say in real life? It's probably the right thing to say here!
- How to create and play an intelligent character with a stong point of view (POV)
- How to flesh out your characters with rich history and philosophy
- Plus essential performance skills relevant and applicable to other projects as well as to VCE Drama/Theatre Studies outcomes.